Saturday, January 6, 2007

Hairy Trees - Goldfrapp

So today was a beautiful day with oddly warm weather for the season. But instead of being outside in the sun enjoying it, I was sitting in a salon chair, uncomfortably so I could get this:


Those of you who aren't familiar with the ritual of black hair are probably thinking "so what?" Here's some things you probably didn't know if you don't have a slew of black friends or you aren't black yourself.

1. Without the help of strong chemicals and other shit, my hair would stick out in the shape of a triangle.
2. It's no easy feat. If you have a hair dresser like mine (who tends to overbook herself), you could be sitting in a salon chair for 4-5 hours.
3. These chemicals burn and they smell bad. This particular hair stylist has burnt me pretty badly in the past.
4. It's expensive. I never get out of there under $80.

I have clued my own friends in about the perils of my hair (even the boys). But for some reason, I realize that other African Americans aren't so kean about discussing 'our hair' with non blacks. I don't get that. Let's just put it out there people. As long as we continue to segregate ourselves, our products will always be expensive, our stylist, few.

Also, I had to break up a near fight in my salon today (because my stylist overbooks herself). This white guy thought that this Indian guy was cutting in front of him. They had words and then the white guy breaks out with "Learn how to speak English, buddy. You wanna step outside?"

That was when I decided I couldn't take anymore. I hate when people say that. It's really rude, stupid and people that say that sort of thing, ironically never speak any second languages. I put down my Harpers Bazaar, walked over to him, tapped him on the shoulder and said "Sir, you're upsetting people. Stop. It's only a haircut".

(No one, and I mean no one interrupts my Harpers Bazaar).

Yeah, it's time to switch salons.

No comments: