Wednesday, February 28, 2007

All Thee Above - Dani Siciliano




As I work through the winter months, I realize the cold, darkness of winter is really getting to me this time around (seasonal and location depression if you will). In high school, I would just listen to some Portishead, take a nap after school and that would make things better. But it's just not so easy anymore (it never really was). Today I was listening to this song by Dani Siciliano (as I was winding down from my jog) and I realized the words had some relevance "you made you choices, no fear, no regret, but you choose to forget, all the above. . . ". Sometimes we make choices and whether or not we regret them, we have to stand by them and say "yeah, I said all that. . . why did I do that. . . ?" and deal with the consequences. Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes it's not. . .
I love her art work.

And it tickles me that she's got an album titled "Slappers". (American translation- Slapper: refers to a sexually promiscuous person, usually female. )
One night I was walking down Kingsland Road in East London, meeting a friend to go to a concert. I was on my little happy cloud nine, skipping through the streets and avoiding the puddles of piss and god-knows-what-else. As I walk under my favorite graffittied underpass, this overweight Afro-Caribbean girl, passes me to my right, looks at me out of the corner of her eye and hisses "slapper!", under her breath. I had on this skirt (in the picture) and a Vivienne Westwood sweater. It was indeed a high point of my life.

No comments: