Thursday, August 9, 2007

Brand New Key - Melanie


"For somebody who don't drive,
I've been all around the world,
some people say,
I've done alright for a girl!"

Upon hearing of Kate and Andy Spade's departure from the Kate Spade company, I immediately got nostalgic about my own past with Kate Spade.
I first saw my Kate Spade bag in London Heathrow. It was 1999 and the nylon was all the rage. There was a young lady, sporting Maharishi pants and lugging my bag as her carry-on. I noted how the bag made her whole ensemble appear "pulled together" and I had always strived to be the savvy traveller that races through the airport with one carry-on. I made up my mind then, that I had to have it. So when I finally started working in television as a camera assistant, I saved my first two paychecks and when the time was right, my father drove me to Neiman Marcus. My hands trembled as I counted out the $20's (it was a big purchase for a teenager in suburbia). But I've never regretted it once. The bag's been to two continents, several states, five countries and doubled as a school bag at times in college. I've gotten my money's worth.

3 comments:

love first, and live incidentally said...

lol - I remember feeling so special and chic to be one of of few ppl. in our to walk down the halls w/a Kate Spade bag around my arm. haha that feels like a life time ago!

love first, and live incidentally said...

so does that mean and end to Kate Spade handbags or just "under new management"?

etoilee8 said...

Oh no, they'll still exist. They got bought by Liz Claibourne in 2006. But I can't shake the feeling that it just won't be the same. . .