Friday, April 18, 2008

Brown Skin Lady - Blackstar


I don't wear brown. I banished it from my wardrobe in high school. I began to realize that every time I purchased a brown clothing item it ended up in the salvation army pile quicker than you could say "cocoa butter". Don't get me wrong, plenty of my fellow black females can totally pull off all sorts of shades of brown. But something about the hint of yellow in my skin, means that I must choose wisely, otherwise I end up resembling Clayface from Batman. People aren't suppose to blend in with their clothing. Such as people with very pink skin tones that wear nothing but pink to my ballet classes. They hurt my eyes! You will never catch me ever buying any sort flesh tone tights or body suits (like the type cheerleaders and ice skaters wear). . . quite frankly, I'd rather eat glass.

Only recently have I become brave enough to deal with brown again and I think this dress from H&M is a very good place to start. I tried it on in every other colour and this was the one that worked the best. I'm smart enough to know not to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I grabbed it and ran.


(Photos: Wikipedia.org . . . by the way, I think Clayface was simply misunderstood. I'd be pissed off too if people constantly referred to me as "Clayface")

4 comments:

K.Line said...

You look fantastic in this dress! Just goes to show you can't decide that a colour looks categorically bad. So many things, from changing hairstyle or glasses or even change of shape, time of year can make all the difference. And there's a brown for everyone, I say! Great pix.

cornpuddin said...

Oh my gosh! I want that dress. Do they still have more of those?

vogued out!!! said...

you look amazing...its funny because I feel the same about brown, I actually do not own brown items, not that I can think of

aziza said...

I really like the camel-copper and white color on your skin. Very pretty