Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sweet Lorraine - Chet Baker


Hey, Grandma. . .nice sandals! That's precisely what I thought when I first laid eyes on these sandals at Salvation Army. But the shoes fit and so I bought 'em ($5). At the time, I was worried about being sandal-less this summer. None-the-less, they always struck me as something your great Aunt Lorraine would purchase for her walking tour of Germany. Easy on the sexy, heavy on the orthopedic. So here's the easiest trick in the book for you. Ribbons make everything better!


1. Take 50 inches of jersey (pick a colour, any colour). Just make sure it's a thick jersey that won't unravel on the sides after being cut. Cut two ribbons about an inch thick.

2. Tie a knot on the ankle strap of each sandal.

3. You're ready to wrap these lovely shoes any way you choose. I prefer the chunky ankle look. . .
















. . . like these amazing sandals from Les Prairies Des Paris which I won't be able to afford this summer (or fit for that matter. . .they stop at size 39. . .)

"Hey Grandma" - THE STORY:

My Grammy is a real hoot. A couple weeks ago, she prepared a lovely dinner for us. After dinner, my sister, my mum and I were sitting around the table bitching about men. It's amazing how it transcends age, this hobby/habit/whatever. Most recently, my older sister and I have become annoyed by the large quantity of men that think it's perfectly acceptable the hollar at girls from their cars and even be so bold to drive up to you, if you're walking down the street. Gentlemen, not only is this sort of behaviour unacceptable but in this day and age, you are practically begging for a face full of mace. Recently, this has happened to both my sister and I and we were angrily swapping stories. My anger was reflected in the demeanor in which I was stabbing at my cake. My Grammy, who was in the kitchen, came to the table and interjected. "I know what you mean", she exclaimed.
Puzzled, my sister and I looked at each other. Grammy continued. She knew she had our full attention.
"I was walking down the street the other day and this guy looks me up and down, fully checking me out and says 'hi grandma' and I was thinking. . . 'how did he know?' "
She didn't even wait to glance at our expressions before breaking into raucous laughter and slapping her knee. Her delivery, her expression, her comedic timing was perfect.

6 comments:

Sofia said...

I love your grammy.

K.Line said...

Seriously - Please invite me to dinner at your house. I like bitching about men too :-)

silver screen pipe dreams said...

Me too.

etoilee8 said...

K. line, you're welcome anytime. Girls. . . Grammy loves you too.

Jessie said...

I'm back, I'm back! I was on a little long-weekend-mini-computer break...

DIY sandals = you're awesome. I have a similar little sandal sitch that I'm planning on fixing up (probably this coming weekend) and I'll be sure to post about it soon! Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm Frankie Domino said...

great idea! from grandma to runway! love it!