Thursday, November 6, 2008

America - Simon and Garfunkel


The Polish news reporter with the bright pink lipstick asked me if I would so kind to check CNN.com for an election update. I opened the page and blinked twice. Turning to her with a grand smile, but saying nothing, because she knew. (And she was on air very shortly). By the time, she had finished her broadcast, I could hear rounds of cheers coming from every street corner in Washington DC. Before I knew it, the crowds had covered the area in front of the White House, chanting and celebrating. I went to the very edge of the roof of the Chamber of Commerce (my little home away from home) and sat there with my i-Pod, listening to Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe, weeping very openly. I think I found the America I want to be a part of. And I'm so very proud.

6 comments:

Peas said...

Happy and purdy

K.Line said...

Pretty fucking awesome. I felt the world shift.

Chubbs said...

i have a scarf exactly like the one you're wearing. it looks lovely on you!

jdp said...

Wow. This post takes me back. I want to share something I wrote that night to a friend... hold on...OK here it is:

I still can't believe it. Can Americans really do this? Part of me realizes that if McCain had chosen a different running mate, or if the economy hadn't tanked, this never would have happened. I let that sink in, and then I don't care. We are here. It doesn't matter how we got here. We are here. I don't know if you knew this but I am engaged to a black woman, and I am engaged (happily) to a black family in law. I know this email seems deep but for some reason you are the one who is getting this. It has been a very emotional ride for me. I am going to have mixed children. They may have the gene for "black hair" and the gene for dark skin and the gene for sickle cell anemia but they won't have the gene for bad or good. They won't have the gene for corruption or trustworthiness. I will teach them that and I hope that the world will see that in them. They will be my legacy, a legacy that some of my family will disown. It is horrible, but I can't worry about that. OBAMA HAS WON. People have voted for change, but what they have voted against is more important. They voted against intolerance, they voted against racism, they voted against entitlement. For a man who doesn't believe in miracles, this feels like a miracle. This is an emotional surprise. ONE MAN!!!
I wept too.

etoilee8 said...

Oh god, ladies (and gentleman) you have no idea how hard I was weeping. It was pretty pathetic, and awesome. The only time you could openly hug strangers in the streets of DC. An amazing night to never be forgotten.

By the way, JDP is my soon to be brother in law. I love him dearly. He is already a part of our family. The marriage part, is just "a piece of paper from the city hall" (I just stole that from Joni Mitchell. . . K. Line, I know you're lovin' it). Peas, I bet you were happy to be around for this. Chubbs my wrap came from Canal Street. . . I bet your's was nicer and more expensive :)

etoilee8 said...

PS - James, you should have gone with my plan and popped the question on November 5. I knew we had it in the bag. . .