Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Over The Water - The Cardigans


Today I went house hunting with my older sister Aisha. Our first stop was Hickory Cluster, exactly one neighborhood from my current resident (in the house which I grew up in, with the parents). Both my sister and I are looking to buy in the near future, but I unfortunately have champagne taste on beer money. My neighborhood is a relatively historic part of town, on a lake. It is both quiet and peaceful. If I'm going to stay in the DC area for a bit, I have no intentions of leaving. Hickory Cluster is known for it's mid century design but I love the houses because of the giant windows. Any home which makes me feel as if I'm in Europe, sounds great to me. Whenever I walk through the neighborhood in the summertime, I catch myself humming The Cardigans under my breath. I imagine myself listening to all their albums, while living in my light strewn house, full of IKEA furniture, since I'll probably be house poor after the purchase. The above picture was taken in the 60's, so there's a lot more trees now.


I do not believe in endorsing products just for hell of it and that goes the same for people. Regardless of the relation. But the reason why you want my older sister as your real estate agent is because when you fall in love with a place and you want to float away on your daydreams of domestic bliss, she reels you in and pulls you right back down to reality.





She won't let you buy something which is overpriced or unaffordable in order to make a quick sale. And she refuses to shut her discerning eye even when I'm completely sold. I mean, look at all the faces she makes. Her face can't lie to you.
Though, I thought this house was a good place to call "home". One day, one day. . .

(PS - Are you in need of a good real estate agent? Abarber500 at aol.com. You'll thank me later).

5 comments:

cornpuddin said...

That Aisha Barber! She's the Best Real Estate Agent out there. She keeps it real!

K.Line said...

OK, I can tell from her stance that she's the real deal. (And I love the name Aisha!) I LOVE those photos. Such beautiful land and mid century is so my thing (like centry and actual modern and everything else apparently :-))

Ishi said...

That is such a GORGEOUS picture of Hickory Cluster. I wish that house had not been in such bad shape otherwise I would have bought it for myself.

Thank you for the kind words. I love both you and Cornpuddin!

-Aisha

Peas said...

Ishiiiiiiiiiiiii.....

Mike said...

Ditto on finding a home that reminds you of Europe! Not the easiest thing to do here in the US. I empathize with you. One thing's for sure though, there is always another hidden gem to find. Keep hope alive and you'll find it.