Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ego Tripping At The Gates of Hell - The Flaming Lips



I'm back from nyc. Tired as always but somewhat cheerful because my gig went well and as usual, I acquired new duds (shopping ban be damned!). During my visit, I considered, resisted and re-considered before relenting and visiting the seventh layer of hell known as Topshop . Although I am the biggest naysayer of the apparel globalization trend, I had to go and see for myself if the fuss was justified. It wasn't. I will never jump on board with those that say that Topshop looks like Forever 21. The quality and fit of Topshop is infinitely better. But I found the prices to be absolutely outrageous. No, I will not pay $60 for a plain red cardigan with snap closures. And no I will not pay $135 for Office shoes. I don't care what anyone says, the prices are absurb and I laugh at anyone who thinks, "oooh what a bargain". I mean, isn't that the point of Topshop ? Why would I pay $135 for a Philip Lim inspired dress when I can wait for the actual dress to go on sale at an outlet for $160 and scoop it up?

3 comments:

K.Line said...

Amen, sister. I"ve never been to Topshop (there isn't one in Canada yet) and, while I'm sure I'd enjoy the check it out experience, I too am inclined to go designer on sale. Or, at very least, nice diffusion at Club Monaco. It manages to rip everyone off in the least offensive - and most elegant, cost effective way.

Tell your truth said...

Too true. I was encaptured by Toppa's intially, now I find it kinda lame. It's a bit juvenile and the prices are just not comparable to their worth.
BTW, your blog is lovely!

Alicia/InstantVintage said...

Good point! I never could really get with Topshop. I tried, but it just isn't happening with me.