Monday, June 15, 2009

Help I'm Alive - Metric



Dreaming can occasionally be inspiring yet heart breaking. Two nights ago I dreamed that I was sitting in London and someone turned to me and said in all seriousness, "why don't you just stay here for a while and write a book?" I awoke to find the dream so alive in my heart that I shuddered to think I was in my bed in Virginia.

I sat in the shower for a moment, letting the water pour over me before scrubbing furiously (with my special "Inspiring Indigo" bath gel). Meanwhile I pondered the thought of moving back to London. Do you ever get to the point where you feel you must be somewhere else to find the creativity in yourself that you thought you may have lost? The most difficult and revealing part of my young adult life has been admitting when I have no idea what next. That I am scared and I might not be sure where my life is going or what I'm going to do with myself. I don't take too kindly to people who pick others apart for that very human feeling. (I'm talking about you Tuesday night date. I liked you until you revealed what an unforgiving asshole you are).

I take comfort in watching people such as Emily Haines experience these very same feeling. I have watched this video countless times. Mainly because it soothes like a bowl of warm potatoes.

Help, I'm alive (too).

1 comment:

K.Line said...

I love Emily (and Metric). I've seen her in concert and I was blown away by her musicianship (even as her performance was sorely lacking). And I have totally had those dreams that wrench you back in time and space. So disorienting and sad. It's the right time to be wondering what the hell to do next. That's the purview of the 20 something woman. All will work out Aja. Worry not.