Sunday, November 15, 2009

Shut Up - Madness


It would seem almost romantic comedy perfect that the week that my mouth would cause the utmost of trouble, I would wake up at the end of it with no voice. This morning my voice was gone and I wasn't pleased. But later, I realized what I thought was going to be a frustrating day turned out to be nearly pleasurable. I realized I was enjoying the silence radiating from with in. Maybe I wasn't the only one.

It's mind boggling how we're so amazingly dependent on our voices and our ability to express ourselves through sound. And yet, when left without it, I found every activity which involved communicating to be refreshing and new (I also felt twenty times more productive). Going to the library worked out perfectly, I wrote down what I wanted on a piece of paper and the librarian was pleased to see a quiet client. Picking up Pho, I pointed to the menu, smiled and nodded. Purchasing a dress, I wasn't able to be chatted up into looking around for anything else by a sales assistant. Not a bad day at all.

I should probably talk less in general. Seems to keep me out of trouble.

(Illustrations: by Richard Gray. I love their long necks).

No comments: