Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ribbon Bows - Joanna Newsom



Tonight I caught myself doing it. Making bad jokes in ballet class. When I first began dancing, I realized that when more advanced dancers open up to you, they always start with a bad joke which pertains to ballet (which demonstrates knowledge while attempting to be light hearted). Meanwhile, you (the beginner) probably don't understand but will giggle anyway in order to feel some sort of acceptance.

Tonight's class was full of beginners of all shapes and sizes. They looked at me nervously and I tried to smile but not look terribly pleased with myself as I breezed through the barre exercises. I remember being a beginner, hell I'm still pretty much a beginner. But I remember the intense feeling of wanting to give up so badly, call it a day and tell everyone "I tried it and it wasn't for me". But something happened. For once, I didn't quit. I became obsessed with becoming better. And I'm forever pleased with myself by this thought. So when I see new beginners and they look awkward, nervous and embarrassed, sometimes I have to fight the urge to give them a big hug and tell them "don't give up, you'll see . . . this is going to be one of the best decisions you've ever made".

But I'm still going to shut up with the bad jokes. It's so square.

(All photos from: The Ballerina Project, and you can buy the prints here)

3 comments:

Chubbs said...

Wait--is the first pic actually Joanna Newsom. She's gorgeous, she can sing, AND she's a dancer? Is there anything this woman cannot do that I cannot??

etoilee8 said...

No, no, it's just a regular old ballet dancer :)

meredyth said...

she also dates the only cute guy on SNL which is cool and surprising to me.