Thursday, December 30, 2010

Breaking Away - Ratatat



Should it pain me that I find my sartorial leanings side more with the mother than the daughter? That makes me feel quite old, but it's true. Former model Inès de la Fressange is releasing a book in April about style of course! In it, she compares pictures of her style vs. her daughter's style. Both wear near identical outfits with certain flare. Occasionally I feel torn, but I think I'm just a forty something woman trapped in a twenty something's body.

Exhibit A: The Trench coat. Trench coats are for my "off days". Because a trench coat cleans up any look without a sense of "trying too hard". You can't look like you're not trying too hard while wearing heels, so the loafers win.



Daughter wins this one. I don't have enough confidence to parade around in a short, tight skirt without the help and assistance of opague tights. But more power to you Inès de la Fressange. Rock on with your hot mom self.



This one's a draw. I could wear either or and I don't exactly understand the difference. Maybe it's that the daughter's necklace is not as understated? Either way, this is a uniform of mine. Easy. Fast. But always nice.



Mom wins this one. The daughter's blazer and pants are too baggy together. On my curvy figure I would shoot for ironic Annie Hall-ish character but end up looking like I stole a bunch of clothes from my Dad's closet.



Another draw. I'm not a leather jacket girl. I own a pleather hoody but that's different . . .



Finally a win for the daughter! I don't like the tight v necks (they are unforgiving to love handles). I'll take slouchy any day. And if I'm going to wear a tighter v neck, I pair it with slouchy pants.

So wait! That's a tie. Maybe I'm not as old as I feel!

Book is available for pre-order here.

(All information came from the lovely RDuJour, my favorite luxury blog).

5 comments:

K.Line said...

You know, I'll happily take either version in each of those instances...

joy said...

I am a 20-something and I agree. The mother does not look like she is trying hard. Very "effortless" because we all know she cares just as much as the daughter.

Ms. M said...

That book is now on my wishlist...

Rebecca said...

Ooooh I want this book!

Agreed on the Annie Hall thing. I have finally given up trying to look cute in baggy clothes. I look homeless and pregnant. Maybe in my next life I'll come back with a boy-figure and tons of money so that I can wear nothing but Marni...

L.R. said...

Agree with you on all of it. Oh god the love handles...