Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Series of Small Flames - Land of Talk



I don't know about you but one of my favorite fall activities include walking around with my headphones on, watching the world around me transition. Fall is a really good time for listening to really great music and I have a couple of albums which always do the trick. What are you Sweets listening to?


Land of Talk, Cloak and Cipher

I've been overplaying this album since I bought it. Elizabeth Powell's voice speaks to me in this way that's hard to describe. It's both powerful and warm. When I take the dog for walks, our soundtrack is Quarry Hymns. The music reminds me of the warm autumn sunlight we dance in and the lyrics remind me that even though this week has been awful we just keep plugging away. The world doesn't stop for sadness. And if you like the vocal layering The Hate I Won't Commit will grab you by the lapels.



Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man, Out of Season

If you were that kid on the school bus who always ignored everyone and listened to Portishead, than you'll like this album as an adult. A more mature Beth Gibbons expands her range and loses some of the electronic beats while gaining some full orchestra. Sand River is the absolute winner for this time of year.



John Coltrane, My Favorite Things

I don't think I should have to sell you on this one. If you can't listen to My Favorite Things without understanding how it's perfect for autumn (or really any day you're cruising with the windows down), I just can't help you. I know you get it though. I don't surround myself with idiots.

(Photos: Amazon and That Kind of Woman)

No comments: