Friday, January 20, 2012

Love Yourself - Queen Ifrica


For Lara, who will have beautiful babies.

Plucked from the womb, thrust into a world of obscurity and placed into the loving arms of her parents during the supposed age of post-racism the black female is armed with certain tools to ensure her survival. In the words of sweet patron Joni, heart of humor and humility will often lighten up the heavy load. But when you run out of humor and you think the other person suffers from a total lack of humility, sometimes you have to break out your trusty, "bitch, please" face (the other tool which is bestowed upon you from birth). This was Avery yesterday after some idiot commented, "oh look how white she is."

Would she not be cute if she were darker? The offender continued with her moronic commentary and even got close to Avery placing her own arm against Avery's cheek to prove her idiotic point. My cheeks flushed with anger. At that point, we all turned on our heels and began to walk. Someone was about to feel the rage of one angry mother, one angry grandmother and one angry Auntie. As soon as we got far enough away, I looked down at Avery and snapped this photo of her face. My thoughts exactly.
When was it ever acceptable to comment on a child's skin tone? You ain't got shit else to say, idiot?

Dark Girls: Preview from Bradinn French on Vimeo.


Timely enough, this new documentary Dark Girls, is now available in theaters. If you're reading this blog post and you're unsure why the outrage, please watch this trailer. Watch this trailer either way. Imperialism and racism has given an entire race a complex about their skin. The reality is, many women grow up feeling ugly. If you're black sometimes the odds are really stacked against you, especially when media portrays photo after photo of smiling white faces. History can never be re-written but we can all stand to be a little bit kinder to each other and more aware.

4 comments:

Peas said...

Sneering like a queen! I can't believe that woman put her idiotic arm down next to Avery.

L.R. said...

Oh! Avery's "bitch please" face is hilarious!
I cannot believe the woman held her arm to her. No idea how you guys kept yourselves composed. I'm sitting here crying for all the beautiful little kids who have and will have to experience this insanity.

Bf's brother & sister both have mixed race children - asian, black & white. They are the absolutely stunning and it's never a topic of conversation - except when no one knew what to do with Alexis' hair so they now take her to a salon that knows what they're doing and can teach everyone.

I watched that trailer and it's so sad to think that with all the other pressures in the world, a child can't even be comfortable in their own skin. And those psychological studies! I learned about those in college. Omg.

It's not just black people. My friend Nathan is Asian and would constantly make jokes about himself & his ethnicity. I hated it so much and ended up yelling at him about it. If you look in the back of Asian magazines there are eye surgery ads, nose correction, skin lightening, calf reduction stuff. My bf even makes comments about some Asian eyes being really small when we're watching a movie and I'm stunned.
I always hated my eastern European nose and still have moments but I've learned to embrace it and would never have surgery.

The world would be so boring if we were all pale, blond w/ teeny noses and big eyes.

K.Line said...

She obviously knows how to deal with the idiots. It's just something you're born with :-)

Angie Stewart said...

Ugh. What a ridiculous woman. Unfortunately correcting people like that doesn't ever help. The bright side is that through increasing exposure to diversity attitudes like that die out over the generations. We already have it better than our parents or grandparents, maybe by the time that sweet little baby is older things will be where they should be? I hope so. Posts like this are effective.

For what it's worth when I was a little girl I used to pray to God I would look like Iman when I grew up - not realizing at the time there are a couple of reasons why that wasn't gonna happen. (It all started with a Vogue subscription my Mom gave me for my birthday in 1988) I'm glad no one corrected me, I would've been devastated. Come to think of it, I still want to look like Iman when I grow up...